Patmos Island

Patmos or Patinos, as the locals call it, is the northernmost island of the Dodecanese, between the islands of Samos, Ikaria and Leros. The island is an elongated strip of land that extends from north to south. It has an area of 34 square kilometers, with a length of only 15 km and a width of 9 while it is one of the smallest inhabited islands of the Aegean Sea. It has mild climate, spotless seas and lacy beaches. The idyllic atmosphere and the excellent services make it a great holiday spot.

The island of “Apocalypse” or “Jerusalem of the Aegean” is declared in its entirety as a historical site and a landscape of special protection in 1971. In 1981, it was proclaimed “Holy Isle” and in 1999 it was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (UNESCO)

In antiquity, it was known as Letois, a name due to the goddess Artemis, the daughter of Litus, who was worshiped by the inhabitants of Patmos and its sanctuary was located in the current position of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian.

Throughout its history, Patmos did not cease to have a close relationship with faith, resulting in the display of a multitude of cult monuments of various periods.

In Kastelli, west of Skala, there is the Acropolis on a natural fortified hill and is the most important ancient monument of the island and dates back to the 4th century BC.

During the Byzantine period (and especially during the 7th – 8th centuries) Arab raids became the cause of desertion of the island.

The island became particularly important and developed during the Middle Byzantine years when, in 1088, Saint Christodoulos the Latrine founded the Monastery of St. John the Theologian. The occasion for the establishment of the Monastery and the principle of monasticism in Patmos is the arrival of St. John the Theologian in 95 AD, who was exiled here for 2 years and during this time he wrote the Book of revelation in the homonymous cave.

The foundation of the Patmias ecclesiastical school in 1713 fueled the Christian world in great spiritual forms.

In the more recent years, during the Greek Independence War, Patmos is referred to as the second island after Spetses that rose against the Ottoman Empire although it remained in its possession until 1912.

From 1912 to 1943, the island passed into the sovereignty of Italy and then to 1947 in the United Kingdom. With the Treaty of Paris in 1947, the union with Greece took place on 7 March.

Holy Monastery of St. John the Theologian

Built on the top of Chora, the Monastery dominates all over the island and resembles a Byzantine castle. Archaeological finds testify that it was built at the site of the ancient temple of Artemis and an Early Christian basilica. It is surrounded by an irregular rectangular defense enclosure dated from the end of the 11th century until the 17th century, while from the Byzantine period the Katholikon, the bank and the cells are preserved. Inside, the visitor can admire the museum as well as places of religious and everyday life.


Sacred Cave of Revelation

Located on the hill between Skala and Chora, the Sacred Cave of Revelation is one of the reference points not only of Patmos, but of Christianity worldwide. This cave was the sanctuary of the beloved disciple of Jesus Christ, Saint John in 95 AD. ,

Today, the Sacred Cave of Apocalypse has been formed into a worship place, where the pilgrim is given the opportunity to see the place where the Revelation was written, to touch the triple cleft on the rock, to process the point where the Evangelist was resting, touch the pits on the cliff which he was grabbing to get up and the natural alter on the rock where his student Prohorus was writing what was dictated to him during the vision.

The cave of Apocalypse is a place of worship where the pilgrim can be initiated into its beauty and awe through silence, touch, prayer and insight, as with his eyes he can enjoy the feeling created by the image of this majestic sacred Cave.

Settlement of Chora (Medieval Settlement)

The architecture of the island was largely determined by the existence of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian.

The historic core of Patmos Town, which consists of the Alotina district, to the west of the Monastery, which was created after the Fall of Constantinople, of the “Cretan” neighborhood around the square of Agialevia, which was created after the fall of Candia (1669) from Cretan refugees, of the “Aporthiana” neighborhood that was built around the middle of the 18th century, as well as from the rich two-storey houses of new captains on the northern edge of the settlement on the cliff facing Skala.

Its picturesque alleys, its magnificent architecture and the majestic atmosphere offer the visitor pictures of true beauty. Within the settlement there are restaurants, cafes and bars, ideal for relaxation and fun.


Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi

The women’s monastery “Zoodochos Pigi” is located southwest of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Chora and was founded in 1607 by the Abbot of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian, Parthenios Pagostas, who dedicated it to Panagia(Virgin Mary) Zoodochos Pigi and Saint John the Theologian.

A small museum with sacred vessels of the Monastery was inaugurated in 2007. The monastery is celebrated on Easter Friday.

Monastery of Livadi Kalogiroi

The hermitage of Partheniou is one of the best known and best preserved on the island of Patmos, founded in 1798. The small valley in which the hermitage is located is in the northern part of the island, surrounded by mountains, while the surrounding islands are visible in the background. The place remains almost unchanged in time, making it one of the most picturesque places on the island.

Monastery of Annunciation or Evangelismos

The Holy Monastery of Evangelismos, the largest nunnery of the island, is located in the southwestern part of the island and has a magnificent view of the bay of Kipi, since it is built on the edge of the rock. It dates back to 1613.

Today the monastery is inhabited by nuns. Their main activity is embroidery with the notorious traditional stitch of patmians, which has been preserved since the Byzantine era. Other occupations include Gardening and Beekeeping, while the Monastery is engaged in great charitable activity.


The Holy Church of St. John the Theologian is located in Skala near the harbor beach and next to it there are the ruins of the buildings, which were used as a “baptistery” in the early Christian era. The church of Agios Ioannis is united with its chapel dedicated to Saint Polycarp.



The three windmills, owned by the Monastery, built in 1588, are built to the east of the Holy Monastery of Patmos, at the top of a hill overlooking the sea. In 2010, the rehabilitation works were completed and the first mill is reopened as a flour mill, with the ultimate goal of offering its visitors the experience of traditional flour production technology. They are a jewel of the island, which was awarded by Europa Nostra.

Nikolaides Mansion (museum)

The mansion “Nikolaidis”, named by the last owner Pothitos Nikolaidis, is located in the Cretan district. It is an autonomous rural complex built in the 16th century, outside the boundaries of the settlement’s core.

The Ministry of Culture, in 2007, completed the restoration work and now it functions as a museum and venue for events, exhibitions, speeches or simply as a sample of the traditional architecture that the visitor can see and observe.


Stavrakas House

The Stavrakas residence was built at the end of the 17th century on the northern side of Chora, just below the walls.

It was restored by the Society of Patmian Culture (EPAP) and today it functions as an international center of environment and culture.

Simanteri Mansion

The Simanteri Mansion was built in 1625 by Smyrnian artisans and it is a typical two-storey mansion. It is located next to the famous Zoodochos Pigi Monastery and operates as a folk museum.

Its interiors include furniture, paintings, family heirlooms (mainly from Odessa) and a rare iconostasis with Russian style paintings of the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. The tour is being held by its eighth generation owner, Mrs. Morfousa Simantri.

Archaeological site of Kastelli

The archaeological site of Kastelli, west of the village of Skala, is located at the highest hill in the area. The ruins of the ancient acropolis are found there, a fortress of the 4th-century with unobstructed views of Cyclades, the northern part of the Dodecanese and Miletus.

Kastelli is accessible via a marked path.

Settlement of Skala

The settlement of Skala is the port of the island. The most populated settlement of the island hosts public services and has the largest market.

It is a new settlement developed in the 17th-18th century when the raids of the Saracens pirates ceased and peace was restored in the Aegean. A remarkable monument is the Italian government building from 1932.

In the picturesque alleys you can see beautiful and well-preserved mansions while a variety of restaurants, cafes and bars offer options for all tastes.

Rock of “Kallikatsou”

The rock of Kallikatsou is a volcanic rock from the time of volcanic activity in the area (four million years ago) named after a sea-cormorant-like seabird. It is a wetland of special natural beauty and archaeological site.

Over the centuries, from antiquity to the age of Christianity, it was used as a place of worship. The carved stairs, the cave, the artificial cavities and niches for the placement of votive offerings and the water reservoirs are all elements that would be necessary for the ancient rituals. The elements of the ancient sanctuary changed their use with the establishment of Christianity when it became a hermitage and the monks used the existing spaces as places of reclusion until the 14th century AD.



Ancient Acropolis of Kastelli

Mount of Prophet Elias

Agios Dimitrios (Vagia)

Kavouras turning (on the way to Kambos)

The coastline of Patmos offers an impressive variety of coasts, bays, harbours, capes, coves and rocks with strange shapes. Like beads on a rosary, beaches succeed one another, each with its own characteristics. Those accessible by road and vehicle are the following:

Agrio Livadi (or Agriolivado)

Agrio Livadi is an organised, sandy beach with trees, taverns, beach bar, youthful atmosphere and water sports. It is located 4km northeast of Skala (35-40 minutes on foot) and it is famous for its clean – relatively shallow – waters.
You can enjoy the sight of the isle of St. Thecla, with the church that gave its name to the isle, and there is also a beach that you can row to reach it.

Agios Theologos

Agios Theologos is the beach in the bay of Skala, which leads to Baftistiri of St. John the Theologian. It is not an organized beach, but the trees along its coastline create a place with shade, while in a short distance there are cafes, taverns, restaurants and the municipal park. The two factors that make this beach very popular are easy access and nearby amenities.


As its name suggests (salt lakes in greek), in this region there were the old salt lakes of the Monastery of Patmos. It is located at the northern end of the bay of Stavros, that is located southwest of the island.


With view the sea of Arki, this small rocky beach is located on the eastern and northern part of the island, near the small church of Apollou (or Apollo).


In a short distance from Skala, before reaching Meloi, there is the beach Aspri with sand and small pebbles. A small isolated cove with view of the Monastery of Patmos, it has trees for shade and a fish-restaurant at one end.


The pebbled Vagia, on the northeastern part of the island and in a short distance from Campos (1 km. from the bus stop) and 7 km. from Skala, is one of the quietest beaches of the island, with few trees along the coast that offer shade and crystal blue waters. At the top of the bay there is a café that offers cold dishes and desserts.

Geranos (or Livadi tou Geranou)

One of the quieter beaches, yet the most beloved by foreign tourists, the pebbled beach of Geranos with turquoise, crystal clear water is located in the northeastern part of the island and is protected from summer winds. Gereanos beach offers no sunbeds, just shade from the trees and as it is across the small island of St. George with its church, it creates an idyllic landscape and a target to swim at. At its one end there is a small tavern.


The bay of Grikos has a beautiful beach, which resembles a lake, with fine gravel and sand. It is surrounded by two small peninsulas and is protected from the open sea with the island Tragonisi. It offers space for mooring yachts, a fact that gives a cosmopolitan atmosphere. An impressive feature of the landscape is the view to the “stone of Kalikatsou ‘, a big rock connected to the mainland by a narrow strip of land and which can be approached by walking along the beach.
Grikos is about 4.5 km. from Skala (to which it is connected by bus) and it is easily reachable by following the road the road parallel to the coast. The beach has a few trees and loungers, and you can also find small picturesque taverns along the coast.
The International Organisation “The most beautiful bays in the world” has ranked the bay of Grikos among the world’s most beautiful bays.


The beach of Diakofti is located southeast of Skala, at the narrowest part of the island (just 200m.), in a beautiful landscape. It is a pebbled beach which at one of its ends has a large private dock, where there is a traditional maritime restaurant with local dishes. This point of the island is well known because the path to Psili Ammos starts there.


In the northeastern part of the island, the beach of Kampos is the most organized and crowded beach of the island. With sand and small pebbles, it has purely blue and shallow waters and facilities for water sports and a trainer. In the surrounding area there are taverns, cafés, bars, and rooms to let. The area is accessible with the regular transportation of the island.


Lampi is a beautiful beach with crystal clear waters in the northeast part of the island that is famous for its colorful pebbles. People admired these pebbles so much that started collecting them and extinguishing them and therefore now it is prohibited to collect them! The name of the beach comes from the shimmer of the sun on the pebbles and the sea. Equally colorful and interestingly shaped by erosion are the rocks to the right of the beach.
Lampi is 9.5km from Skala, it is accessed by car (motorbike or taxi) and has umbrellas and sunbeds, cafes and restaurant that offer traditional delights of the island.



In the bay carrying the same name, west of the island, the beach Leukes is among the least known beaches and therefore it is ideal for those who want to avoid the crowds. The sea, however, is often choppy, as the open sea offers no protection from the wind. The road leading to it (asphalt in the beginning and after a point gravel road that continues to the beach) crosses a characteristic rural landscape of Patmos. In the beach you can find a beach canteen.

Ligginou (or Didimes)

In a short distance from Vagia, following a stone path (a walk of about 15 minutes), there are two consecutive coves, one slightly larger than the other, but in other respects identical (this is why it was called “Didimes” – Twins), creating a beautiful landscape between the two headlands. Both beaches are covered with small pebbles and sand and have crystal clear blue waters.


A picturesque bay, Meloi (or Melogi) got its name from the sweetness of the figs and melons of the surrounding area. It is located within a short distance (1.5 km or 15 minutes walk) from the north side of Skala. It has a sandy beach with trees along its coast and a small tavern at one of its ends.


Petra beach is located by the narrow strip of land that connects the “rock of Kalikatsou” to the mainland. It is an organized beach with large white pebbles both in the sea and on shore and crystal blue waters. Its famous Rock was, until the 14th century a hermitage and there are up until this day carved steps and a water tank, while the view offered from the top is unforgettable. The beach is organized, and visitors can try several water sports. In Petra there is a canteen and near the beach there are taverns offering traditional dishes.


Small sandy beach, located in the southeast of Patmos between Skala and Grikos. Access is possible through path that crosses the homonymous small, verdant village.

Psili Ammos

It is considered as one of the most beautiful beaches of the island and, as its name suggests, has fine, golden sand – and turquoise waters, a fact that gives it an exotic beauty. Access is possible either by boat (a journey of about 45 minutes – there are boats that travel every day from Skala to Psili Ammos), or on foot by following the path from Diakofti (half-hour hiking). The relatively few trees form a shaded area. In the summer months operates a tavern.


Patmos all year round!

Patmos is an island that will fascinate you with what you see. Cosmopolitan in the summer and atmospheric in winter can satisfy all tastes. This magical aura that flows all year round in combination with the various activities and cultural events will make your stay unforgettable!

  • Throughout the summer, there are various cultural events. You can get informed from the Patmos Cultural Center
  • Festival of Religious Music
  • Festival of Traditional Dances and Music
  • International Film Festival
  • Festival of taste and tradition
  • International photography festival
  • International painting festival
  • Hiking – A mapped and marked trail network
  • Feasts or Panigiria
  • Sea sports
  • Daily excursions to nearby islands
Police Station 2247031303
Hospital 2247031211
Pharmacy A 2247031650
Pharmacy B 2247031500
Tourist office 2247031666
Port Police 2247031231
Apollon travel 2247031819
Astoria travel 2247031205
Rental Room Association 2247031541
Hotel Association of Patmos 2247031529
Municipality of Patmos 2247031235
Monastery of St. John 2247020800
Monastery of Evagelismos 2247031276
Holly cave of Apocalypse 2247031234
Post office 2247031316
Customs 2247031312
National Bank of Greece 2247034040
Alpha Bank 2247034140